Thursday 11 June 2015

What Music Means To Me

I was asked to select three music tracks that are in some way a reflection of my life. I was expected to choose a song from my early childhood, a song from when I began high school, and finally a song from now.

Childhood Song:

A song from 2003, when I was 5, which I remember is "Year 3000" by now disbanded boy band, Busted.


Beginning of High School Song:

A song from 2009, when I was 11 and just beginning high school was "Empire State of Mind" by Alicia Keys and Jay Z. This is when I fully began to appreciate rapping and hip-hop. Jay-Z, Eminem, Rihanna and Kanye West were amongst my favourite artists.


A Song From Now:

A song which I like at present day is "100" by The Game feat. Drake.


From a very young age I really enjoyed listening to music and my parents encouraged me to listen to a wide range of tastes, from Green Day to Duffy. I think this helped me shape my music tastes and develop an interest as currently I like a wide range of music.












As I grew up and got older, I began to understand the lyrical meaning behind songs, I found the lyrics of songs really interesting. I think this is what made hip-hop my favourite genre. I find it interesting reading about the meaning of lyrics and what artists infer through their songs. Hip-hop represents a socio-political movement which I find interesting. Hip-hop provides a voice for the people. With songs such as Kanye West's "New Slaves" which details the full spectrum of racism which Kanye has encountered and the stereotype of a black man.