Wednesday 16 September 2015

Banana Phone Task

In class we were given the task of filming various camera shots and them editing them creatively. We had two lessons to complete this task; one to film, and one to edit.

Here are the following shots that we were asked to film:

A shot through a shot - Filming someone through the display of another device.

Cloning - Mount the camera on a tripod and remain in a wide shot. Artist is filmed in different locations of the shot and then through editing, the artist completes multiple tasks at the same time.

Depth of field - A focus on a particular object that is close to the camera, while blurring what is behind it.

Reverse shot - The artist's actions are reversed through editing.

Tracking/dolly shot - Film artist singing to camera, the shot will be parallel to the action.

Stop motion - Take still shots of a narrative made from LEGO, when editing, make each picture 1 second long so the narrative looks smooth.

As I was aware that this task was more focused around the camera shots and the editing process, I decided to not worry too much about lip syncing as I have demonstrated in previous tasks that I am able to do this successfully. Of course, in future tasks with less of a time constraint, lip syncing could be easily implemented.

Here's the end result:



Upon reflection, I feel like the Banana Phone task was useful to determine what camera shots will work well in my final music video and also to encourage creativity through camerawork and editing. 

I think that my shot through a shot worked rather well, however the clarity of the other shot was rather poor, so next time if I was to use the technique, I would use a clearer display.

My cloning shot didn't particularly work as the camera was moved during the process of filming, meaning that my footage did not line up accurately. So instead I decided to duplicate a separate sequence and fade each one into each other on Adobe Premier. I felt that this was a good experience to learn from though as I learnt two alternate techniques.

The depth of field shot that I filmed didn't work due to the camera's functionality couldn't enable it, so in an attempt to still complete a depth of field shot, I applied a blurring effect on the footage on Adobe Premier.

I thought that my reverse shot worked well, however I think that next time I should film my reverse shots at a closer distance and perhaps from a different angle.

My tracking shot worked really well. As I was lacking professional equipment, to give a stable shot I used a wheelchair to offer balance.

I thought that the stop motion section at the end worked well. Perhaps next time. if I was to include the technique, it would be more interesting to include more frames.

I felt as though use of the green screen worked really well for some shots as it allows for different images to be displayed. However, I think that when filming my music video next time, if I am going to use the green screen, I will make sure shadows are minimal or are not in shot as they interfere with the overall quality of the end result.